Monday, April 28, 2008

Soo Line Ore Dock in Marquette, MI

This is where I started down the road to being a wage slave. My first job after high school was as a carpenter's helper on the Bridge and Building crew on the Soo Line RR. This ore dock was originally the DSS&A RR ore dock until the merger with Soo Line. Most of the guys were still muttering about the merger and this was 5 or 6 years after the fact. They still considered themselves as DSS&A. Anyhow the first couple of weeks on the job were spent up on this ore dock. When I would ask what I should do, most of the time the other guys on the crew would tell me it would be quicker for them to do it themselves than to explain how to me and for me to stay out of sight and out of their way so they could finish the job and move on. They had been working on the ore dock for the last 6 months and they wanted to finish and move to a job somewhere else down the tracks. So I spent a lot of time at the far end of the dock throwing iron ore pellets at the seagulls.
The ore dock shut down in the 70's when the last mine supplying ore to it shut down ( the Tracy ). Several years ago the approach to it was removed. There has been talk of converting it to condos. Question; what would they do to get rid of the iron ore dust, encapsulate it?

No comments: